Friday

BINGEING ON BREAKING BAD

There's a first time for everything.

For the first time in my life I've been participating in a marathon.

It's not the kind that you run in, it's one that you watch on TV, from morning to night, day after day!

Breaking Bad, the long running award winning crime-drama is having it's final episode this coming Sunday night.


Image: Breaking Bad. Walter White (Bryan Cranston), Skyler White (Anna Gunn) and Walter White Jr. (RJ Mitte) in Episode 1 Courtesy AMC

For fans and people like me, the marathon started on Wednesday morning and has been running day and night ever since!

And you know what, I've been watching every chance I get!

When Breaking Bad first came on the air I tuned in and was turned off by all the violence.

I didn't like it at all, just not my cup of tea.

So, what happened?

A few months ago I happened to be watching the Charlie Rose show and he was interviewing Bryan Cranston.

Charlie Rose | charlierose.com
Image: Breaking Bad cast on Charlie Rose Courtesy PBS

When I found out that HE had the lead role as Walt Whitman in Breaking Bad I was really amazed at what a bald head and eye glasses can do to change a person's appearance!

I gave the show a second chance and got hooked!

There have been many write ups about the storyline so I won't go into it.

What I want to do is write about how the actors are so realistic in the roles that they play.

For example, in one episode, one of the major characters gets killed, he is shot several times and dies!

Following that episode there was a special program, Talking Bad, discussing Breaking Bad with some cast members present and what do you know, the guy I just saw get killed, was alive, joking and smiling to beat the band!

That night it took me over an hour to calm down.

Ninety percent of the show can be very earth-shattering, bloody and shocking. I welcome some moments of relief where someone shows empathy, love, or there is a bit of humor.

I must say, very little humor.

Maybe I'm stretching it when I say I find a funny spot - for example:

The lawyer is asked to get the right person to "do the job."

His response:

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy.

Guess I am stretching it but a girl needs a little relief!

Do you watch Breaking Bad?

Are you hooked, and how did you feel about all those sad characters who couldn't get their lives on the right track?